WELCOME COCKTAIL - 27 June 2018
The University Site of Santa Marta is located in a huge complex of military architecture, originally used for the production and storage of bread, grain and other troop rations. The building, built between 1863 and 1865, was one of the most impressive logistics plants in the Austrian stronghold in Verona, Italy’s most important military city, and one of the most significant in Europe. After annexation to the Kingdom of Italy, the plant remained in use for over a century, with a variety of new functions, until the 1990s.
After recent renovation by Verona University, the Santa Marta complex is now the site for its Economics and Law Departments, as well as housing the Economics Library. The work of architectural restoration involved careful qualitative research and the use of innovative technologies. One example is the state-of-the-art geothermal plant for renewable energy. The renovation work, carried out by Massimo Carmassi and Gabriella Ioli Carmassi, in conjunction with Iuav Studi e Progetti, was awarded the Gold Medal for Italian Architecture at the Milan Triennale in 2015.
A permanent exhibition in the former bakery covers the history of the building and its relations with the city, with the further dimension of how soldiers were fed.
Palazzo e Giardino Giusti
SOCIAL DINNER - 29 June 2018
Nature, art, history have made Giardino Giusti famous worldwide.
Created at the end of the fifteenth century, the Garden took its present layout in 1570 thanks to the work of Agostino Giusti, Knight of the Venetian Republic and Gentleman at the Court of the Grand Duke of Tuscany.
Visited and celebrated over the centuries by eminent figures of history and culture (like Cosimo De' Medici, De Brosses, Addison, the Emperor Joseph II, Goethe, Mozart, Charles Felix of Savoy, Suarez, and Gabriel Faure), the garden, with its adjoining 15th-century palace, is today an urban complex of great interest and beauty.
The construction of Palazzo Giusti started in 1570 in the Sanmicheli style by merging in its foundations pre-existing buildings that were once used for dyeing wool, the main activity of the Giusti family.
On a U-shaped layout, the building has two wings with a large portico at the centre, surmounted by a monumental hall that overlooks a yard designed to host theatrical shows and music concerts.
At the end of the fifteenth century, Palazzo Giusti became the headquarters of the Philharmonic Academy, still operating in Verona, where the famous play Aminta by Torquato Tasso was staged in 1581.
The internal halls of the palace were decorated and frescoed over the centuries: today we can admire the remarkable ceilings by Dorigny and Lorenzi, a student of Tiepolo, as well as frescoes by Farinati.
The noble floor is presently used as a museum with furniture of the Giusti family of the 1880 – 1920 period and a collection of Roman and Renaissance stones which is presently being rearranged and restored, coming from the Venetian Molin family, dispersed with the arrival of Napoleon.